The Faculty of Science has identified the Niche Research Area – Environment-Health & Data Analytics. Taking a few examples:
- Our study of gene-environment interaction in plants underpinned a new strategy on rice irrigation that change the practices of millions of farmers in mainland China.
- Our leading academic contribution to investigating the impacts of emerging environmental stressors on ecological and animal health leads to the establishment of the “State Key Laboratory of Environmental and Biological Analysis."
- The concept of environmental sustainability is disseminated through our organic farming and waste management strategies; those are broadly acknowledged by society.
- Using the chemical-biology approach, we have identified a non-invasive method for early diagnosis of human prostate cancers and the detection of Alzheimer’s disease biomarkers.
- Our colleagues have developed the laser technology to analyze the chemistry of antiques and paintings, and aluminum oxide nano-structures and films for modifications of surface structure and optical properties.
- Our artificial intelligence approaches to malaria elimination with China CDC provides spatio-temporal data analytics for epidemic prediction. The approach has been adopted as guidelines for front-line surveillance and control practices.
- The industries have widely adopted our big data research. We have a long-term partnership with the Hong Kong Observatory and Environment Protection Department of Hong Kong Government in data assimilation on air quality and weather forecast.
Our Faculty is the heart for innovation and growth of the human culture. We deliver solutions for real environmental importance to safeguard the health of present and future generations.